1. Decide on a theme. (In this case: Birds in Beards 2: Dead Poets.)
2. Research. Poets? Poems? Birds?
3. Decide on a subject. (In this case: John Burroughs.)
4. Decide on an animal. In this case, a Cardinal (because it is a snow bird, and Burroughs had a poem about snow birds).
5. Sketch in pencil.
7. Erase pencil.
8. Maybe I put it into a coloring book. And maybe I burn it! It all depends. Artistic Temperament. It happens.
P.S. There were two new lambs this morning: both female. I am so happy about that. They are both black— top hats! Felted top hats! This is what we will make with their wool, if they survive and thrive.