“You may think it’s nice, and you may think it’s weird, but beware of the man with a bird in his beard.”
So begins a ridiculous saga, a love story which includes 30+ portraits of men with beards and the birds who love them. Color in the beard strands (which are like spaghetti in many of the pictures) and the intricate feathers of the many different birds, or just enjoy the silly rhymes about a love gone wrong, due to overzealous bird care.
This book appeals to all ages, though the coloring is probably too detailed for young children.
Featuring actual portraits of real men with beards, including:
1. Matt Krueger (with a Lazuli Bunting in his beard)
2. Evan Skov (with generic birds in his car)
3. Victorio Piva (with a Falcon on his hand)
4. Mark Kessenich (with Barn Swallows in his beard)
5. Alex Bledsoe (holding an Owl)
6. Junior Jr. (with a Bird of Paradise)
7. Bryce Ziegler (with a Song Sparrow in his beard)
8. R.J. Dietrich (with Parrots and Alex the Cat)
9. Mike Mutant Goggles (with a Red Breasted Nuthatch)
10. Parisse Atkinson (with a choir of Swallows on his arm)
11. Jeffrey Ksul (with Hummingbirds)
12. Ben Boyce (feeding Great Herron chicks from his mouth)
13. Andrew Ettinger (with a Finch in his beard)
14. Matt Evans (with an Owlet)
15. Michael Van Vleet (with a living Robin, and a dead Robin)
16. Brian D. Marohn (hugging a Sage Grouse)
17. Marcelo Moraes (with Chickens)
18. John Francis (with lots of Chickens)
19. Dwayne Fry (with a Turkey)
20. Sean Downing (with a Marsh Wren)
21. Chris Wagoner (with a Western Bluebird and a Gambel’s Quail)
22. Fellipe Santos (with Hanging Parrots)
23. Michael Mortensen (with a Penguin)
24. Bob Lee (with a Hummingbird)
25. Buck Samuel Dollars (with Storks)
26. Dan Constein (with a Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker)
27. Professor Batty (with a Peace Dove)
28. Jon Anders Ofjord (with a Swan)
29. Ryan Rysewyk (with a Gouldian Finch)
30. Charlie Kukuri (with Ostriches)
31. Marc Losenegger (with a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak)
32. Chris Hoppe (with Doves flying around his bike)
33. Z. Marohn (with an American Kestrel on her hand)
It’s an all ages coloring contest!
1. Print this beautiful picture of me and an exotic chicken.
2. Color this beautiful picture of me and an exotic chicken!
3. Take a snapshot of your beautiful work.
4. Post the picture to my Facebook page, facebook.com/shoshanahart (if you don’t have Facebook, you can email it to email@example.com).
5. Make sure you post it before February 29, 2016 at 5 PM Central.
6. The winner will be judged by me, Shoshanah!
7. The winner will get to have their coloring decorate the back cover of my upcoming coloring book, “Birds in Beards,” as the “author photo.” (Bwahahahahahaha!)
Anything goes, but pictures with hand coloring will be favored over computer fill-ins. For those who like realism: I am super white skinned, with pink and brown freckles (well, probably age marks, but we’ll say freckles), and my hair is an all natural mix of pink, blond, and grey. This is a Polish hen, and they range in color from violet, to brown and white, to white (for the lazy colorist), to black with a white head, to grey and brown mixed- they run the gamut. I highly recommend doing a google image search on “Polish Hen.”